Over the weekend I started listening to the “Dear Sugar” podcast and it slowly started changing my life a little. The stories and the vulnerability shared within not only the letters but within the conversations between Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond (the Original Sugars), and then whichever person they called on the show. Listening to the heartbreaking letters they received from people struggling with self-worth, relationship doubts, critics, etc., I couldn’t help but relate to so many of the questions asked, the worries shared, the doubts lingering in their minds…all of it. And while the thoughts of my own fears and doubts and many other things (that so often left me in a ball of stress and sadness) came to mind, I felt a sense of calm, almost a camaraderie, with everyone involved. I wasn’t alone.
But I don’t want this post to be all about the realizations and acceptance of myself post-podcast in some sort of unrealistic rom-com breakthrough in which everything falls into place and I end up with a new sense of self and a really good looking guy at the end of it all. While nice, it’s not the end-all-be-all of my existence by any means. It’s not how I define myself. It’s not the thing I cling to most in the world (despite what my 20-something self might have thought). Rather, I wanted to reflect on the things that end up defining me in all of my weirdness.
So I give you, my confessions:
- I’m slightly lactose intolerant but I would rather drink that whole large milkshake and suffer the consequences in the bathroom later, than to deny myself that joyous beverage. Speaking of, it’s almost Shamrock Shake season…
- I love Nickelback’s song “How You Remind Me.” Any time it’s on the radio, I turn it up. I despise everything else about Nickelback, except this song. This song is gold.
- I recently binge-watched the first 2 seasons of Baywatch. I loved that show for the first 2 seasons. Still do. It used to actually have good story lines…
- I buy books that I end up never reading. I just like to buy books. Goal this year is to read those books. Seriously. I tweeted about it.
- I get secretly envious of people that come up with parody Twitter accounts (ie. Emo Kyle Ren) or people that Live Tweet famous films they are seeing for the first time (ie. This lady & Star Wars). But then I remember, “Kathy, you don’t have time for that.” Yeah? Well I’m still jealous. #SpaceVoldemort4Lyfe
- I put egg noodles in my tomato soup.
- I consider myself a movie fan, yet I have never seen any of the The Godfather films. #LeaveTheGunTakeTheCannoli
- I cried watching an episode of The Simpsons. Like legit, sobbed.
- I know every word, musical note, crowd cheer from the song “Tonight” by New Kids On The Block.
Until next time…